First call for participation
Department of linguistics and cross-cultural communication, Institute of Philology and Language Communication of Siberian Federal University in cooperation with Krasnoyarsk Regional Association of English Language Teachers “KELTA” are happy to announce the 1stInternational Foreign Languages Olympiad for university students. The Olympiad is arranged in the name of UK-Russia Year of Culture 2014 and celebrates the boosting variety of modern languages and cultures worldwide.
Partners and sponsors of the event are well-known internationally recognized cultural and educational institutions active in Russia: Book Company “Britannia”, Students International, Goethe-Institute, British Council, English Language Office of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, Alliance Françaises in Novosibirsk, Educational Agency Сampus France, Bank “Santander”, Japanese Centre in Siberian Federal University, Municipal Cultural Centre “Siberia-Hokkaido” in Novosibirsk, General Consulate of China People’s Republic in Ekaterinburg.
We call for participation university students of any subject or major and any year of study coming from Russia or other countries to compete in their language proficiency and cultural awareness in English, German, French, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Russian as a foreign language.
The timeline for the Olympiad
I stage (registration and online participation): 15 March 2014 – 31 March 2014
Online stage is for registration and initial selection of candidates for the face-to-face stage. Participants complete 50 multiple-choice questions in the area of country and language study based on the LMS MOODLE platform. Time limit -60 minutes. Maximum scores gained - 50. This stage serves a basis for the jury’s decision about individuals’ participation in the following face-to-face stage.
To join the online stage and participate in the selection procedure a candidate must:
- register online at Institute of Philology and Language Communication SibFU site (ifiyak.sfu-kras.ru);
- complete the online set of activities within the time frame given.
Attention! Competition in the Chinese and Japanese languages does not include the online stage. Candidates must only register for the face-to-face participation in the period from 15 to 31 March.
II stage (face-to-face) – 5 May 2014.
Participants compete in various testing activities and go through the following checkpoints:
- Writer’s Workshop (creative writing – 150-200 words, time - 40 min).
- Detective Agency (language in use and listening papers, time – 60 min).
- Literature & Poetry Competition (2 min. prepared text/poem)
- Speaker’s Corner (public speaking for 1 min responding to a given question).
The language level of participants must be not lower than B1 according to the CEFR bands description.
- 15 March 2014 – registration and start of the Olympiad online competition .
- 31 March 2014 – final day for registration and the online competition.
- 10 - 15 April 2014 – informing successful candidates of their selection for the face-to-face stage.
- 5 May 2014 – Face-to-face competition in Siberian Federal University (Krasnoyarsk), awarding ceremony.
Address: 660041, 82 pr. Svobodny, Krasnoyarsk, Department of Linguistics and Cross-Cultural Communication, Institute of Philology and Language Communication of Siberian Federal University (SibFU).
Tel: +7(391)2062710, Tatiana Galitch.